After teasing it on social media earlier in the week, U2 released the feature film “Your Song Saved My Life”, an original song by the group and recorded for “Sing 2”, an animated musical that will hit theaters. December 22.
While the new song doesn’t represent a big leap in the genre, U2 fans will recognize it as a departure from the band’s usual style, starting with a pop-gospel-style piano and moving on to orchestral accompaniment before concluding with a falsetto chorus and not many guitars in sight.
Several songs from the U2 catalog, including favorites “Joshua Tree” and “Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of”, also appear in the film, in which Bono first plays the lead voice role, envisioned. like a lion. . His character, Clay Calloway, is a legendary rock star who has lived in isolation since a tragedy 15 years earlier, and is now coaxed out of retirement by the fledgling cast of a Las Vegas-style staged musical – but, of course, strictly inhabited by animals – resort town.
The song occurs briefly during the film as the actor / fans try to persuade the reluctant Calloway that his music has actually saved lives, and then plays out in full before and during the end credits.
âYour song saved my life / I don’t sing it just so I can get out of it,â the chorus says. “Won’t you hear me when I tell you honey / I sing it to survive.” Among the thoughtful words of the verses leading to the uplifting refrain: “Are you a stranger in your own life / What are you hiding behind those eyes / There is no one looking for you there.” The song’s aspiration is underlined in the line: “Looking for a miracle, the kind that science cannot explain”.
The song is slated to be shortlisted for Oscar consideration. If he did get a nomination, it would be the third time at bat for Bono and the squad. They have been edited twice: in 2003 with âThe Hands That Built Americaâ from âGangs of New Yorkâ and in 2014 for âOrdinary Loveâ from the documentary âMandela: Long Walk to Freedomâ.
Other musicians Pharrell Williams, Halsey and Tori Kelly have roles in the Universal release, along with Matthew McConaughey, Reese Witherspoon, Scarlett Johansson, Taron Egerton and Bobby Cannavale.
The Republic Records soundtrack was also announced Thursday, with a release date just before the film’s December 17th release. A complete list of songs:
- Your Song Saved My Life (from Sing 2) – U2
- Let’s Go Crazy – Tori Kelly, Taron Egerton, Reese Witherspoon and Nick Kroll
- I can’t feel my face – Kiana LedÃ©
- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road – Elton John
- Heads Will Roll – Scarlett Johansson
- Holes – Mercury Rev
- Naughty – Billie Eilish
- Sing 2 Audition Medley – Sing 2 Cast
- Where the Streets Have No Name – Tori Kelly, Taron Egerton, Scarlett Johansson, Reese Witherspoon & Nick Kroll
- Higher Love – Kygo x Whitney Houston
- There’s Nothing Holding Me Back – Taron Egerton & Tori Kelly
- SuÃ©ltate (From Sing 2) – Sam i feat. Anitta, BIA & Jarina De Marco
- Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out of – Scarlett Johansson
- Soy Yo (Sing 2 Mix) – Bomba Estero
- A Sky Full of Stars – Taron Egerton
- Could have been me – Halsey
- I Say a Little Prayer – Tori Kelly & Pharrell Williams
- Free Yourself – Reese Witherspoon and Nick Kroll
- I still haven’t found what I was looking for – Scarlett Johansson & Bono
- Tippy Toes – Adam Buxton with Fancy Feelings feat. DSCOSTU (bonus track)
- NoÃ«l (Baby Please Come Home) – Keke Palmer feat. Scarlett Johansson, Taron Egerton, Reese Witherspoon & Tori Kelly (bonus track)